18.9.16

Legacy

When I was a little girl, one of things I looked forward to most was when it was my turn for my Dad's mom, my Grandma, to take me along on her weekly shopping trip.
There are only a few select things that I distinctly remember about these trips.
One was the sound her hands would make when she turned the steering wheel of the vehicle that she was driving, another was being able to buy a pack of gum, we would always go to visit my great-grandmother while she was still alive, and I just remember loving to be with her. One on one.
It has been a long time since we have had time together, just the two of us, but today we got that time again.

I have been learning a lot lately about relationships, and how God uses people to teach us, mold us, and give us opportunity to grow.
I looked at this beautiful woman that I get to call my Grama, and thought "What can I learn from her today?". What type of spiritual legacy will she pass down to her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren?

I heard her speak of the job that she has been working hard at for as long as I can remember. This job involves a lot of love and care for those who cannot care for themselves.
Never once in my life have I heard her complain about this job. If anything, I have seen her love her job.
It hit me then as I heard her talk of retiring, and speak of how bittersweet this would be for her, that sitting in front of me was a beautiful servant's heart. Not only has she selflessly served those in need for so many years, here she was talking about hoping to get another position a couple times a week to help more people.

It was then that I knew... I wanted to be more like her.
Woven into my DNA are little pieces of her ability to love people well.

I am surrounded by strong women, her strength is the silent kind. The kind that sometimes goes unnoticed, or unappreciated.
A servant's heart.

I cannot imagine the lives she has touched through her service and her prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment