26.9.16

From My Journal

Be holy.
What exactly does that mean?
First Peter 1:15 says to be holy in all manner of conversation. The greek translation for the word "conversation" is "behavior". So basically, this is a call to be holy. Always.
Then we are back to the question. What is Holy? The greek word defines it as pure, blamesless, religious, consecrated.
How is it possible to always remain pure in a world that is tugging at your heartstrings from all different directions?
God says that no one is perfect. No one is without sin, but am I still supposed to try to be Holy? And if so, what does that look like?
Verse 22 of the same chapter says:

Seeing you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned (undissimulated) love of the brethren, see that you love one another with a pure heart fervently.

So love is the answer. Being obedient with the help of the Spirit to love without prejudice. Without judgement. Just pure, holy love. That, if it is surrounding my life and touching everything that I do, that will purify my soul.

Love is so powerful. I guess that is why God says He is love. And why He gave us the example of the greatest love, making Himself manifest for me. For everyone.

I can't imagine what our world would look like if everyone had nothing but love in their hearts. Even, just the followers of Christ. What if we all loved like Jesus? What if we all strived to be holy?

What would people say of us then? Would they feel judged? Would they feel like they want what we have?
I think so.
His heart must break to see us not living up to our potential. To see the lives that we could help change through Christ be broken by our lack of love.

How can I love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment